Re: [K12OSN] BackupPC (a complement to it, g4u)

I'm curious...will it handle RAID?  I have a server (Samba/LDAP) that I
need a better backup system for and would like to do a bare metal backup
(in other words...be able to make an image of the entire thing) that can
restore from in the event of a catastrophe.  BUT I need the RAID
partitions and so forth to go back to where they were....will it do it?

daniel hedblom skola solleftea se on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 3:21 PM
+0000 wrote:
>Since BackupPC doesnt do full restores i thought id give a tip about
>something that can be a useful complement to it.
>
>G4u or "ghost for unix" is an excellent imager for those workstation or
>servers that just have to be get up and running in a couple of minutes
>after a crash, or that strange setup that took a week to get to run
>properly.
>
>g4u is two BSD based boot disks that recognize most nics, atleast everyone
>i have used it on. It makes a gzipped full archive of either the full disk
>or individual partitions. The best of all and this is where it shines
>compared to every other product i have tried, it backs up and restores
>from your simplest of simple normal ftp server. This means you can do a
>backup over a *DSL connection. Any standard ftp server will do just fine,
>not a single modification is needed besides creating an account. It
>handles every single filesystem and partition. I have restored 17
>computers at once over a 100 mbit network and it took about 15 minutes.
>
>http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
>
>Its worth a try at the very least.
>
>/daniel

David N. Trask