[K12OSN] ltsp client authentication with separate k12ltsp and smb/ldap boxes

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jan 13 00:01:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 15:18, Steve Kossakoski wrote:

> We could ssh into the K12LTSP server as "art".
> We COULD NOT log into a K12LTSP client as "art".

Are you talking about the graphic gdm login box on the client?
That should really be coming from the k12ltsp server and should
accept the same logins as ssh to the server.  Or are you trying
to log into a local shell on the client on a virtual console
or through ssh to the client?

> If I create a regular Unix user on the K12LTSP server that user can log
> into an LTSP client without a problem (and that's how root is able to
> log into a k12ltsp client).

If you use SMB authentication you can check the password but not get
account information - that is you need an entry for the user in
the local /etc/passwd file but you don't have to match the password
there.  You may have the same effect with LDAP if it is not configured
exactly right.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com