Re: [K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

I second the vote for Xandros. I've got Mandrake 9.x on a Dell Latitude (CPx, I think), which I installed about a year and a half ago. It works fine with the Cisco wireless card I have, but I could never get it to work with any others like SMC, D-Link or some Realktek-based cards. On two other Dells (a CPx and a CPi) I put Xandros on, and it has seen every card I put in (be sure you do the Update System under Xandros Networks). And it has a nice graphical indicator of the how much charge is left in the battery. I'd switch the Mandrake to Xandros, but it's my wife's laptop and since it's not broken, she won't let me fix it. ;-)

I haven't looked at Mandrake 10 yet--I have the disks, I'm a long-time Mandrake Club member,just haven't had the time--so it may have gotten better about detecting various wireless cards. But I also think, for a non-technical newbie such as you sister, the Xandros Network tool, which provides a click-and-install-it software service (most packages are free, but there are some you have to sign up for their pay-service to get), is a real gem. And I think the Xandros file manager is the best bar none, as it automatically finds all Windows shares AND NFS shares.

And it's Debian-based.

Petre