[K12OSN] yum.cron question

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Thu Jan 13 17:02:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:04:59AM -0500, Henry Hartley wrote:

> In /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron, I have the following:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/yum ]; then
> 	/usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y update yum
> 	/usr/bin/yum -R 120 -e 0 -d 0 -y update
> fi
>
> It doesn't seem to be doing anything (i.e. a daily yum update is happening).
> My question (which I feel stupid for asking) is, isn't the logic of the "if"
> statement backwards?  Shouldn't yum run if there is NO lockfile?  What am I
> missing?

That lock isn't set by yum.  It's set by "/etc/init.d/yum start", since it's
a flag to tell yum "do updates", rather than a lock telling yum "another instance
is running".

Look at the first 25 lines of /etc/init.d/yum, and all will become clear.

Meanwhile, yum may have hung. Do a "ps auxww|grep yum". If you see a yum process there
(usually starting with "/usr/bin/python") kill it, then try running yum manually to
catch up with the latest security updates.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)