[K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

Lee Myrick lee at renarts.org
Thu Jan 13 18:05:45 UTC 2005

I just installed Fedora Core 3 on two IBM ThinkPads and have wireless
working on both. FC3 comes with ACPI for power management. With ACPI
and FC3, the battery monitor applet currently works with the KDE
desktop, but doesn't for the Gnome desktop at this time. FC3 is quite
user friendly.

On Jan 13, 2005, at 3:04 AM, Rob Owens wrote:

> I'm asking this off-topic question because I trust the opinions of
> those on this list.  The laptop in question is my sister's.  It's
> currently dual-booting Windows XP and Mandrake 10.0, but the wireless
> config under Windows ate itself.  If I can get wireless working under
> Linux, that's what she'll use.  Mandrake is on there just because it's
> my default choice, but I'm open to anything.
>
> In particular I'm looking for good power management tools.  If the
> distro comes standard with them, great.  Or if somebody could
> recommend an add-on package that will work w/ Mandrake or something
> else, that would be great too.  I'd like perhaps to have an
> ever-present battery monitor.  What else is important?  (I don't own a
> laptop myself, so I don't really know what to ask for).

Lee Myrick
Information Technology Administrator
Renaissance Arts Academy
lee at renarts.org