[K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Thu Jan 13 18:12:11 UTC 2005

Dear Rob,

After reading your comments, I really think Debian or Ubuntu
would be a great choice.  Then again maybe I have just become a
Debian zealot over the last 2 years <G>.  My comments below:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:35:17 -0500 (EST)
"Rob Owens" <robowens at myway.com> wrote:

> Kevin, Tim, Les, and Petre, thanks for the advice.  I should have
> mentioned a few other things in my original post:
>
> 1)  I need a distro that is free of charge for the software and the
> updates.  I know some (like Xandros, Mepis, SUSE) have purchase
> editions as well as download editions, but I don't know what
> limitations are imposed on the download editions.

The only Limitation I know on Mephis is the software.  I.E. the
purchased version comes with crossover office.  Don't know the others

> 2)  I have to use ndiswrapper for the Broadcom wireless NIC.  I think
> I had it working in Mandrake 10.0 (iwconfig recognized it), but I
> never was able to ping.  I suspect it was a problem w/ Mandrake's GUI
> for establishing network connections, though, because I was having
> weird problems w/ the wired connection as well.

Ubuntu seems to really shine in this area.  I had a wireless pci card
that would not work AT ALL with Linux (including the wrapper), but
Ubuntu detected it and worked "out of the box"  I know that they have 2
versions, a Live CD and an Installer.  Even thought the live CD is
pretty new, you might want to give it a shot first.

> 3)  I have to assign a static IP address to the laptop, so her router
> can port-forward my SSH requests to it.  A GUI to do this would be
> nice.  However, this combined with #2 means that auto-detection and
> setup of the wireless NIC probably isn't needed because I'm going to
> have to configure a lot of stuff manually anyway.

The GNOME with Ubuntu (I think it is 2.6 but I may be way off) has a
nice GUI for network stuff.  Although I think it is GNOME thing not an
Ubuntu thing.

> 4)  She'll be in California, and I'm in NJ.  I need a distro that will
> not require upgrading (with CD's) anytime soon.  I'm perfectly willing
> to remotely upgrade her system.  But I don't want to find out in 8
> months that security upgrades aren't available unless I upgrade to the
> latest version of the distribution.

This is definitly where a Debian based will shine.  I have a box right
now that my Grandma uses for email & internet with Debian Sarge.
I set up her apt source list to use "sarge" instead of "stable" or
"unstable" so that way she got all the eye candy, but when Sarge goes
stable, her box will move with it.  Updates can be done with cron and
you would never have to worry about it.

If you go this route I would stick with Debian or Ubuntu.  My
experience has Knoppix and family getting a bit buggy after doing an
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade