[K12OSN] the /etc/skel directory..

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Thu Jan 13 20:07:14 UTC 2005

A way around the customization issue it to create .cshrc.pers in addition to the .cshrc (if using csh, change for .profile) in /etc/skel, then at the end of the .cshrc in /etc/skel include

if (-f $HOME/.cshrc.pers) then
		source $HOME/.cshrc.pers
	endif

This is straight from our website: http://www.arl.hpc.mil/userservices/ibm_sp3.html  and we try to adhere to since it is possible for sysadmins to then push new .profile/.cshrc to all users without crushing user customizations.

Could still cause an issue with a "Reset Desktop" unless the reset script knows to move all the original (dot) files to .old .

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins