[K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Fri Jan 14 11:07:17 UTC 2005

Guys, thanks again for all the laptop advice.  It gave me some courage to try some things, and I ended up getting it working last night.  I tried Mepis but ended up with Mandrake 10.1 mostly because I am familiar with it and I have to get the laptop back to my sister before she heads back to CA.  Plus, I can only download so many iso's in one day!

For the record, I had previously tried Mandrake 10.0 and I think that their GUI network tool messed something up (although I can't swear to it).  So I took the opportunity to upgrade to 10.1 and this time I avoided the GUI when configuring the wireless connection.  I learned a lot (and made a lot of good guesses) regarding ndiswrapper.

KDE (haven't tried Gnome yet) has a battery monitor right there on the toolbar.  It was put there w/o me asking for it, which was nice.

David mentioned suspend-to-disk.  Any input on that from the group?  What other "laptop features" should I try to get working before handing it over to my sister?  I want to make sure it has all the features she'll want so she doesn't go back to windows, which is still on her hard drive.

Thanks

-Rob