[K12OSN] CrossOver Office Professional

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Fri Jan 14 13:41:39 UTC 2005

Gavin Spurgeon wrote:
> Hi List...
>

>>Hello Everyone,  Is anyone using CrossOver Office Professional with Eric's
>>4.2?  I need to provide a solution to an online course based on ---  you
>>guessed it, MS. Office Pro.   Don't anyone bother to waste time talking
>>about OO...  We can run the online program with OO, but some of our staff
>>are both stuck and not-at-all-too-flexible-in-their-thinking.  I may as
>
> well
>
>>investigate Cross-Over on thin clients before I explain cost, reliablilty,
>>and server load.  Thanks all, Jim - still on K12LTSP3.2

Why?  I placed OOo on all machines in every classroom I've taught in
over the past three years and my students, at least, were largely
unaware that they were using anything different than they were used
to...Until, of course, the realized it wasn't crashing and destroying
their hard work on the windopes machines.
I've used it in the classroom on Macs and Linux boxes, too.
When people talk about wasting money on superfluous software, I just
shake my head.  that's taxpayer dollars that could be better spent
elsewhere in a school.  If people want to copmlain about the cost of
education, they should really start becoming aware of better & cheaper
alternatives to many superfluous spending habits.  OSS, of course, is
one of the best examples.
--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net