[K12OSN] the /etc/skel directory..

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Fri Jan 14 14:54:41 UTC 2005

> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 14:07, dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:
> >
> >>A way around the customization issue it to create .cshrc.pers in
> >>addition to the .cshrc (if using csh, change for .profile) in
> >>/etc/skel, then at the end of the .cshrc in /etc/skel include
> >>

> > I think you mean .profile for sh or bash, but I didn't know
> > anyone still used csh these days.
> >
> Indeed, anyone still using csh should read
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

First, it was just an example of how we handle the login script concern.

That said, Uhmm, nope, csh.  I understand the criticisms, its just that we have alot of things that were originally written using csh, so ... call it legacy.  We have codes/scripts/etc written in virtually every 'flavor of the month' that has existed.  Personally, I like sh or bash, but run often run in tcsh since it is more compatible with alot of the environments I find myself in.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins