[K12OSN] k12 over a network

I'm currently running into a problem with the option broadcast-address. The current situation is that we are running our server in a classroom and then a client in another classroom. The problem is that the server and client must communicate using the school's prebuilt windows network. Is there a possible solution to this or do we have to run the client and server on a seperate switch/series of hubs than the main school server?