[K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Jan 15 00:39:55 UTC 2005

aust_txv at ACCESS-K12.org wrote:

>>> I run SuSE Linux Pro 9.2 on my laptop, and everything works
>>
> perfectly-->>wireless, video, sound, you name it.  Also easy to use.
> My hardware is a >>Delll Latitude P4 1.7GHz. --TP
>
> Hi TP,  I visit the SuSE website everyday :)  Do you participate in
> any update/service program from SuSE ?  On my workstation (laptop) I
> need a break from "getting things to work" to just knocking out projects.
> Thanks,
> Tom Ventresco

Hi Tom,

I have a desktop running SuSE 9.1 Pro; I just tell it to go look for
updates every so often, and boom, it does it.  You can even tell it to
automagically do it for you w/o prompting (I'm a little too paranoid for
that).  Haven't yet tried it on the laptop, but I'd guess that it'd be
similar.  I find SuSE 9.1+ to "just work" very nicely, though 9.2 is
better with wireless.

I can also confirm that Slackware GNU/Linux 8.1+ works pretty well with
laptops; I was actually running Slack 8.1 and 9.0 on my laptop for about
a year before I put SuSE 9.2 on it (my other laptop runs Slackware 9.1
and will continue to do so).  However, getting wireless to work takes a
little bit of work, but boy, is that distro clean and easy to tweak.
Everything is just plain standard--no surprises or "weirdness" with
configuration.  Therefore, my main desktop at home runs Slack 10.0.

--TP