Re: [K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

aust_txv ACCESS-K12 org wrote:

I run SuSE Linux Pro 9.2 on my laptop, and everything works

perfectly-->>wireless, video, sound, you name it. Also easy to use. My hardware is a >>Delll Latitude P4 1.7GHz. --TP

Hi TP, I visit the SuSE website everyday :) Do you participate in any update/service program from SuSE ? On my workstation (laptop) I need a break from "getting things to work" to just knocking out projects.
Thanks,
Tom Ventresco

Hi Tom,

I have a desktop running SuSE 9.1 Pro; I just tell it to go look for updates every so often, and boom, it does it. You can even tell it to automagically do it for you w/o prompting (I'm a little too paranoid for that). Haven't yet tried it on the laptop, but I'd guess that it'd be similar. I find SuSE 9.1+ to "just work" very nicely, though 9.2 is better with wireless.

I can also confirm that Slackware GNU/Linux 8.1+ works pretty well with laptops; I was actually running Slack 8.1 and 9.0 on my laptop for about a year before I put SuSE 9.2 on it (my other laptop runs Slackware 9.1 and will continue to do so). However, getting wireless to work takes a little bit of work, but boy, is that distro clean and easy to tweak. Everything is just plain standard--no surprises or "weirdness" with configuration. Therefore, my main desktop at home runs Slack 10.0.

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>