[K12OSN] k12ltsp & SGI O2

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Tue Jan 18 17:22:58 UTC 2005

aust_txv at ACCESS-K12.org wrote:

>>> We were donated about 40 SGI O2 R5000 and would love to be able to make
>>
> good use of these RISC boxes other that "cute" bookends. >>
>
> Wow those are neat looking.  They are RISC R5000 cpu's like 210Mhz
> (RISC) yes ?  I think you are in for a battle.  You can weave your own
> LTSP for these I think with another OS.  Find a linux distro for that
> hardward and see if it works.  These are not x86 workstations so an
> "out-of the box" K12LTSP install won't work for you.  Try to find a
> linux distro for that hardware.  They did not come with IRIX ?  Might
> have to go FreeBSD, I don't recall seeing a linux distro for the R5000
> cpu.  I would love to be wrong for your sake. :) ;) They are cool are
> they blue or black ?
> Hope this helps,
> Tom Ventresco

Hi,

Yes they are blue & black .... these are 180 Mhz R5000 boxes with about
1GB memory & no hard drive (the drives were removed for security
reasons) therefore no IRIX.
I would like to get a detailed "Howto" to initially configure these, as
I believe that I'll have to setup an SGI partiiton on the SCSI drive
before I can load any Linux distro...... so any help will be appreciated

thks
norbert