Re: [K12OSN] Linux in Education Info

tuxnician execulink com wrote:
Hi everyone.

I may be making a little progress with a Trustee about Linux but I would
like to provide him with more information.  I realize that I may be
repeating what has been posted before (my apologies) but I am looking for
any info, presentations, experiences that can help him 'see the light'.

I know that a couple people have discussed with their 'higher-ups' the
value and benefits of using Linux and the LTSP in their schools and I
would like to hear how they did it.

I appreciate any info and help I can get so I can help get this project
into our schools.

Since a decision maker said no more Linux (even though the one Mac Lab is
running OS10) the K12LTSP is being introduced to some schools as a pilot
for the benefits of Open Source software (and some are only available on
Linux!).

One class in an elementary school running the K12LTSP and the teacher is
very happy with it.

Thanks everyone.

Money talks. So does an actual demonstration. After our Technology Club set up a K12LTSP lab in my High School, we invited the Superintendent to the grand opening, where he was shown how to use the lab and some of the theories behind it, such as open source. When we told him that there were no software licensing fees for any of it (The OS, OpenOffice, etc) he was amazed and later called a school board meeting to show them the capabilities and the benefits. Seeing as you have a lab established already, take advantage of it. Try to get the Trustee(s) to come in and use the lab and see its benefits, and mention the incredible cost savings over the Microsoft equivalents (I don't want to think of how much 30 WinXP and Office licences cost).