[K12OSN] OT - FC3 Server install/update

Hi People,

I know this is OT, but I trust this knowledgeable group, please help me if you can, both answers I need might be pretty short, even though the questions are long.

I yesterday took an old workstation and installed straight FC3 on it. (not k12ltsp, hence the OT) I need this box to be a "kitchen sink" development server. I need to run mail/dns/php/mysql/apache, etc., etc. I'm going to be experimenting with Moodle, and other CMS/LMS's on it, so I need it to have Perl and a bunch of other libraries and goodies on it. For that reason, I chose the "everything" install. Just to make sure I had all the libraries and modules and plugins I could possibly get.

So, my 2 questions:
1) How do I get "yum update" or up2date -u to work? They both crunch away for a couple hours, downloading headers, downloading packages, checking dependencies, and then ... hang. yum is hanging at a spot that says: "Finished Transaction Test \n Transaction Test Succeeded \n Running Transaction \n Updating: glibc-common 100% done 1/608" \n blinking cursor. I think up2date failed at pretty much the same spot. How do I get past this?

2) Should I have just done the "server" install? I don't plan to ever use this computer as a workstation. I don't need the games, open office, or anything, (it was nice to see the full FC3 though, gives me a hankering to upgrade my k12ltsp box) but is there anything servery that I'd be missing if I do the straight server install? At this point I'm willing to start over if it'll give me a leaner machine, with quicker/smoother updates, etc.

Thank you so much, for everything. This list and linux and k12ltsp all rock!

ck