Re: [K12OSN] Xeon vs Opteron ?

I concur. I find the dual opteron quite snappy compared to a dual xeon. The price factors around the RAM are the only real pressure on making the switch to the opteron.

dgd

Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:
Personally, I'd go for the Opteron. Though I'm not a programmer, from what I've read, Intel doesn't exactly implement the AMD64 instruction set properly, and x86-64 GNU/Linux development is really geared toward the Opteron. Also, the Opteron's just a better chip than the Xeon. It tends to quite handily beat any Xeon, be it in 32-bit or 64-bit mode. And that's with over a 1GHz clock-speed disadvantage.

Finally, I have yet to see an EM64T chip actually for sale. I see Opterons all over the place, which means that they're not in short supply at this point.

You should also compare motherboard prices. For me, this would be a factor; I've found Tyan boards to be very good over the years; I've got a couple of their dual Athlon MP mobos. MSI's dual Athlon motherboard has also been trouble-free for me. To my knowledge, ASUS does not yet make a dual-Opteron mobo (maybe scared of Intel?).

--TP

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

Which cpu would you recommend for a multi user environment like k12ltsp
Anyone have any personal experience to compare.
The following cpu cost the same

Xeon 2.8 EM64T 1MB cache 800 FSB
Advantage:
Hyperthreading (With HT kernel sees double the cpus)

Opteron 242 Advantage:
Built in memory controller (beats xeon on most benchmarks)