Re: [K12OSN] Eureka! Samba/LDAP is a piece of cake to set up now!

Friday, January 21, 2005 at 10:15 AM +0000 wrote:
>Does this basically set up the box to be a PDC then for the Windows
>machines?  So to authenticate my windows boxes I would set them to a
>domain and point them here.

Yes....simply join them to the domain.  If using roaming profiles....they
end up in /opt/samba/profiles/"username"   I usually also map the users
home directory to a drive letter using the login script "startup.bat"  (as
per the directions)

>Once completed do the /home directories automatically mount on the
>clients upon login or do users still have to manually browse the network
>for these and mount them?

See above....use the login script to map the drive autmatically   On a
linux box...such as K12LTSP....the home directory is mounted via NFS....so
it's transparent to both you and the end user

>Thanks for the work on this guys.  I will be making very heavy use of
>this during the summer months.

I have to admit...I run a mixed Windows XP Pro (with roaming profiles)
network...along with K12LTSP and Mac OS X.....it's very nice to have "many
doors into the same room"

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School