[K12OSN] Slow speed

Bjørn Roger Rasmussen brr at brr.no
Sat Jan 22 09:22:05 UTC 2005

Hello people!

I run a K12LTSP 4.2.0 setup at one of the schools I have the computer
responsibility for. The server is an old PC with the following configuration:

- Intel P 4 1.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB IDE harddisk WD with 8 MB cache. 100
Mbit/s network.

The server shall serve about 10 – 15 thin client computers. The thin client
computers are old computers with specifications running from Pentium 166
MHz with 64 MB RAM and better.

Before I began to run K12LTSP I used Skolelinux
(<http://www.skolelinux.no/>http://www.skolelinux.no/). The users at the
school liked that solution, but it was a night mare for me to maintain the
network. I did not get any complaint about the speed when I run Skolelinux.

Now with K12LTSP as system the people at the school are complaining about
the speed. High response time when they shall start or use normally
programs etc.

Where would you think is the biggest bottleneck in my setup? Should I have
had a better server? Which parts of the server has the most importance for
the speed at the thin clients?

Bjorn Roger Rasmussen
EDP employee - local government of Eigersund, Norway.

***
Bjørn Roger Rasmussen (http://www.brr.no/)