Re: [K12OSN] password protect web dirs with htaccess?

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 03:57, debbie redeemer qld edu au wrote:

> I want to password protect some directories in /var/www/html/ for staff only.
> I've used .htaccess & .htpasswd files in the past using far-away host machines
> and FTP but never on my own linux box on an intranet. And it's not working,
> i.e. no pop up asking for a password, I can access the 'secure' directory.
>
> I have the .htaccess file in /var/www/html/staffonly/ and the .htpasswd file in
> /var/www/... is there something else I should know about the php.ini or other
> apache setting to make this all work?

There is an
AllowOverride None
in your httpd.conf that keeps it from even trying to read .htaccess
files. You need to set
AllowOverride All
or at least
AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
for the locations you want the .htaccess file read.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com