[K12OSN] [OT?] Testing CPU's throughput

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Mon Jan 24 12:39:34 UTC 2005

Reading various posts on the list I was wondering how to test the
processing power of 64 bit vs 32 bit CPU with 64/32 bit OS. To eliminate
disk IO as influencing factor I ran the attached script that makes
intensive use of CPU without any IO from disk. There was no other
processing. The results were:
1.      64 bit CPU AMD 32 bit 1.8Mhz k12LTSP 4.2       4m 43s
2.      64 bit CPU AMD 64 bit 1.8Mhz FC3               3m 55s
3.      32 bit CPU Intel 32 bit 1.8Mhz k12LTSP 3.12    7m 13s
4.      32 bit CPU Intel 32 bit 2.6Mhz k12LTSP 3.12    5m 1s

Is the conclusion that all things being equal AMD running under 64 bit
OS would out perform? Definitely cost wise I could buy AMD64 with MSI
MoBo board cheaper than Intel MoBo with P-IV 2.6. I agree that this may
not be best bench marking but that is all I could think up.
Any gurus' with any suggestions.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux