[K12OSN] Printers on thin clients problem

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Tue Jan 25 15:17:25 UTC 2005

I am running 4.0.1, with about 110 thin clients in our district.  Local
printing is working great (we're sharing samsung 1740 laser printers) --
but every few days, the printers stop working.  Sometimes there is an
error page that prints out, sometimes not.   It always happens in the
middle of the school day, and although rebooting the thin client solves
the problem, it's not really feasible at any given time to do so.  This
is especially true since it's usually the classroom across the hall
trying to print, since we have to share printers among classrooms.  Is
there a known issue with local printing?  Anyone have any ideas about
how to debug the problem?  Any chance upgrading to 4.2 would help?
--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director
spowers at inlandlakes.org