[K12OSN] icewm problem with fix suggestion

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jan 26 02:20:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Patrick Healy wrote:

> I use icewm exclusively on my server, but noticed since upgrading to
> K12LTSP 4.2, that icewmbg and icewmtray were using a lot of resources.
> Yesterday, I was running a load average of over 50, while the system
> crawled.  I fixed it by:
>
> chmod -x /usr/bin/icewmbg
> chmod -x /usr/bin/icewmtray

We added a configuration option for this a little while back. You can
turn off sessions (icewmbg & icewmtray) and/or nautilus by editing
/etc/sysconfig/icewm

more below...

> This was by using the installed version:
> icewm-1.2.17-0.k12ltsp.0.4.2
>
> I noticed that icewm.org lists version 1.2.20 as current,
> and that these problems were fixed in 1.2.18pre1:
>
> Change Log <snip>
> 1.2.18pre1: 2004-12-05:
> * disable SupportsSemitransparency by default, this makes icewmbg exit
> after setting the image and reduces memory usage
> * fix CPU waste in icewm-session and icewmtray
> see: http://www.icewm.org/changes.php
>
> Any chance of an update?
>
> Thanks,

Yeah, this has been on my TODO list for a couple of weeks now.
I finished it up on a layover at SFO late Sunday night ;-)

I have not fully tested the new packages yet, so I stuck them
in my "testing" directory:

   ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/

Give 'em a spin and let me know if you run into any problems.

-Eric