[K12OSN] Virtual Machine

Hello all,
This isn't exactly an "on topic" question, but there are so many here so much wiser in the ways of Linux than I, I thought I'd ask. In the Windows world, one can purchase and install MS Virtual PC (at no small price, I might add) which will allow the creation of Virtual computers within the Windows OS, which can even run Linux quite nicely. Is there a Linux (preferably free) alternative? I know that Win4Lin is supposed to run Win9X fairly well, but is there a true virtual machine app. that will run Windows NT/2K/XP and give it access to the Linux machines hardware devices?

--

C-ya,
Mark