MS ACCESS (Was Re: [K12OSN] AR/STAR Take XXXXXVI (give or take a few))

Problem is that we need it to run Aeries, so we'd need to either a) find a way to run msaccess under X (wine xoveroffice, etc) or find a database that can run msaccess "code" (and I use the term very loosely). From what I've seen so far neither scenario is likely anytime soon. Switching to a different SIS is, unfortunately, not possible. One thing about aeries - it's pretty inexpensive as such things go. I just wish they'd used a different "tool" to build it.

Petre Scheie wrote:

Note that OpenOffice.org 2.0, due out in March or so, includes a new built-in database, called...wait for it...OpenOffice.org Base (I kinda like the term OOoBase--you heard it here first). It's competing with Access, but I don't think it's drop-in replacement, at least not yet. For example, I don't know if it can import existing Access DBs; perhaps it can, but I haven't seen much about it.

You can read about it at
http://software.newsforge.com/software/05/01/25/1758245.shtml?tid=72

and the marketing project has a Guide to New Features at http://marketing.openoffice.org/2.0/featureguide.html

Petre

Jeff Davis wrote:

I'm sure this has been asked and/or answered here before - Can k12ltsp allow the linux terminals to run AR/STAR via wine or ??? This would be part one of a two part holy grail. The other would be MS Access (yuck).

Thanks.