[K12OSN] Bondi Mac booting ltsp

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Jan 28 03:20:15 UTC 2005

> When I talked to Chuck, he said the macs don't figure out the
> filename to load based on a dhcp response.  Instead, they are
> hardcoded to grab a file called 'yaboot.conf', which contains the
> name of the kernel to download.

>From what I see it gets the IP from DHCP, then loads filename "yaboot"
(instead of a kernel) and mounts the correct NFS directory
of /opt/ltsp/ppc.  And yaboot looks at yaboot.conf for what kernel and
initrd to load and where.  So in order to load yaboot and not the PXE or
vmlinuz kernel we would need to specify a separate section in dhcpd.conf to
call filename yaboot for the macs.  So I was thinking if we did that with
the if statement maybe we could avoid separate configs for macs altogether.

I may save the trouble of having to enter the Mac Addresses of each mac.

Also I think from what I was seeing the initrd that is in the tar.gz files I
got from Chuck the vendor code is set to "AAPLBSDPC".  Is there a way to
check the initrd to find out for sure?