Re: [K12OSN] Get rid of my PCs

Nobody seems to have addressed your original question, so I'll take a crack at it. Running Mac apps on a thin client ought to be possible. If the apps are written for OS X, that means Aqua which isn't the same thing as X11 (although X11 can be installed on top of OS X and is required for things like OpenOffice.org). I would try ssh'ing into a Mac box and firing up an application and see what happens. In theory it ought to work because OS X has the same separation of the graphics system from the OS as does Unix/Linux. You can also run the Mac OS on top of Linux, both OS X and Mac OS 7.5.2-9.2.2. So for those cases where you need Mac apps, you should be able to run the Mac OS on top of Linux on the server and remotely display the whole thing at the thin client. See www.maconlinux.org for more on that. The other thing to look into is the Mac server (I forget what it's called at the moment).

Petre

Todd O'Bryan wrote:

My first year teaching, I had to use a K12LTSP lab because I had very old machines. The next year, the school bought me new machines. The principal was afraid of buying thin clients because they weren't on the approved list and no one would fix them.

Well, we just got a new head of IT, and he's started to pilot Linux projects and is especially interested in thin clients.

He just emailed me something that I don't know the answer to, so I'm asking...

Can you run Mac apps on a thin client? They know they can run Windows and Linux, but don't know about Macs, and I must admit that I don't know either.

Thanks,
Todd O'Bryan

P.S. Cross your fingers. I'm going to try to convince them to let me buy a server and thin clients as a pilot project and then give these virus-laden, permissions-confusing, time-sucking XP Pro machines to unsuspecting teachers who are still running Windows 95. :-)