[K12OSN] Get rid of my PCs

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Sun Jan 30 02:55:03 UTC 2005

Nobody seems to have addressed your original question, so I'll take a
crack at it.  Running Mac apps on a thin client ought to be possible.
If the apps are written for OS X, that means Aqua which isn't the same
thing as X11 (although X11 can be installed on top of OS X and is
required for things like OpenOffice.org).  I would try ssh'ing into a
Mac box and firing up an application and see what happens.  In theory it
ought to work because OS X has the same separation of the graphics
system from the OS as does Unix/Linux.  You can also run the Mac OS on
top of Linux, both OS X and Mac OS 7.5.2-9.2.2.  So for those cases
where you need Mac apps, you should be able to run the Mac OS on top of
Linux on the server and remotely display the whole thing at the thin
client.  See www.maconlinux.org for more on that.  The other thing to
look into is the Mac server (I forget what it's called at the moment).

Petre