[K12OSN] problems with iptables

Bimal Pandit bimal.pandit at indoasian.com
Fri Jul 1 14:01:49 UTC 2005

Dear Sir,

>Message: 21
>Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:44:19 -0700
>From: Jeff Nelson <jeffnels at gmail.com>
>Subject: [K12OSN] problems with iptables
>To: k12osn at redhat.com
>
>Hi all,
>
>We've been having some problems with iptables on our K12LTSP system. It
>doesn't save the firewall, even with "service iptables save," so when the
>server is rebooted or if anyone does "service network restart," the iptables
>rules are somehow flushed and we have to run the firewall script again
>manually.
>
>We're running a pretty stock K12LTSP 4.2.1. Kernel-2.6.10
>
>Does anyone have an idea as to what could be going wrong?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff Nelson
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 22
>Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 07:11:05 +0530
>From: Sudev Barar <sbarar at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [K12OSN] problems with iptables
>To: Jeff Nelson <jeffnels at gmail.com>,	"Support list for opensource
>	software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
>
>On 7/1/05, Jeff Nelson <jeffnels at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> We've been having some problems with iptables on our K12LTSP system.  It
>>doesn't save the firewall, even with "service iptables save," so when the
>>server is rebooted or if anyone does "service network restart," the iptables
>>rules are somehow flushed and we have to run the firewall script again
>>manually.
>>

>Is the service iptables set to eun every time?
>Right now I am on an Ubuntu box so cannot trace the command but man
>for something like "chkconfig". The command is something like
>"chkconfig --level 35 iptables"
>Alternatively run "setup" as root and in services enable the iptables
>as service. This will make it run at boot time.

rightly said,

1)  check wether it is enabled for run level in which you are running
your server.
     "chkconfig --level 35 iptables"  OR for temp solution do "service
iptables start/restart"
2) could check the status
     "service iptables status"
3) save your settings as
     iptables-save > your_iptable_rules
4) check wether " /etc/sysconfig/iptables" exists, if yes make a backup
of it.
      now put your rules as "iptables-restore < your_iptable_rules"
     can also use "service iptables save"
at last i would suggest you to see "/etc/init.d/iptables" script.

hope this will help a bit.

regards,

Bimal Pandit