[K12OSN] K12LTSP Moodle easy install

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sun Jul 3 05:35:19 UTC 2005

Just FYI....since I noticed John Ballie's name on this message (and he
attended the Northeast Linux Symposium in Maine two weeks ago)....the NELS
site is a Moodle site and it happens to be hosted on an SME server...I
love SME...I have a whole bunch of them for various purposes ranging from
Firewall/gateway/router/proxy/Dansguardian.....to simple NFS install
server housing all my images for deployment over the network.  The
installation of Moodle is very simple.  Simply untar it in the html or www
directory....create a database for it....I use  "mysql_setpermissions" and
then run the install.

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Saturday, July 2, 2005 at 2:11 PM +0000 wrote:
>Alan wrote:
>
>Hi gang
>
>I am happy to see that fellow educators are picking up on the
>versatility and power of Moodle. I am familiar with an SME-esmith/Moodle
>install combo that works very well out of the box with just a minimum
>amount of configuration (http://www.tech-
>geeks.org/contrib/mdrone/moodle/moodle-installation.html) - However it
>needs a dedicated SME server
>(http://contribs.org/modules/phpwiki/index.php?Downloads). My question
>is, can the ease of install for SME be ported over to our type of
>server? I've tried several times to install Moodle in different K12LTSP
>versions, but had to give up as being too time consuming and
>convoluted...
>
>cheers
>
>A. Hodson
>

>Alan,
>
>Where did you run into snags?
>
>If you need some assistance running through the following procedure
>
>http://moodle.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=3856
>
>I will be glad to help you out.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator