[K12OSN] Terminals running sloooow

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu at orcon.net.nz
Mon Jul 4 02:10:02 UTC 2005

I have just noticed that our terminals are running slow now. I think the
usage has increase over the last week with more people using openoffice
writer and impress as well as scribus. Some using firefox also. Openoffice
impress has been especially slow.

We have an AMD 2500XP on a Microstar KT6 DELTA FISR motherboard with 120GB
SATA HD and I think 1 GB RAM (maybe 2 GB how do I check without rebooting?)
We have 15 terminals usually only 10 run concurrently. The server is GBlan
going to a GB switch then the terminals connect to 100MB switches. 8
terminals to each 100MB switch.

How can I find out what is making everything slow? Is there some diagnostic
software or log file I can look at?
It seemed to be going fine until this week. I am not sure if I should add
more RAM or some other hardware upgrade, or if it is a software problem with
a runaway program or something like that.

Does my hardware sound adequate? Any recommendations?