[K12OSN] Terminals running sloooow

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu at orcon.net.nz
Mon Jul 4 17:24:08 UTC 2005

Very handy thanks. It seems I only have 1 GB of memory. I will boost that to
2 GB.
I also noticed the following when I ran top

16907 dilip     39  18 81308 6828  28m R 45.6  0.7  13478:09 firefox-bin
 7226 suki      39  18 30408 1196 1932 R 45.6  0.1   5162:57 gnuchess
21402 krsnendu  15   0 13740 6428 6300 S  2.2  0.6   0:11.14 nxagent

The top two processes have been using a lot of CPU for a long time from what
I can see. These user are certainly not logged on. They are primary school
students and it is 5am. Right now. What causes these processes to linger and
how do I get rid of them.
In this case I typed kill 16907
kill 7226
and it got rid of them. I guess that will help things go a bit faster. Am I
on the right track?
Some background on what top tells me would be very helpful.

We have version 1.1.2 Is that ok or should I upgrade to a more recent
version? And if so how do I do it? Up2date doesn't always seem to work.