[K12OSN] regfile for redirect of My Documents

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Jul 5 01:12:43 UTC 2005

I plan to point it to a "My Documents" folder in the /home dir as you
mentioned below...good catch about the trailing slash.  I'm not so sure
about redirecting the rest of the profile as that stuff would probably
still not sync until logout...right?  Thus I gain nothing....the Profiles
currently still live on the same server....If I wanted to...I could simply
set up my smbldap configuration to have the Profiles live within the home
dirs instead of /opt/samba/profiles/$USERNAME....I could do
/home/profile/$USERNAME....but there's something about having Windows
profiles in the same location that gives me the heebie-jeebies....having
the profiles seperate from the home directory makes is less apt for the
user to "accidentally" delete it....the only drawback is the "instant
saving" piece.  We use DeepFreeze to keep the workstation
tamper-proof....things "appear to save" locally, but once the machine is
rebooted....it's gone....including any local profile stuff.  So if for any
reason the logoff process (when the docs and settings actually get moved
to the profile on the server) gets interrupted or whatever....the current
documents created during the current session would be lost.  The advantage
to remapping the "My Documents" directory to a mapped drive is that the
docs would be saved immediately instead of upon logout.  With the
exeception possibly of "Favorites"...the rest is not "mission critical"
and thus I don't care too much about it.

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Monday, July 4, 2005 at 11:33 AM +0000 wrote:
>I do this with our Netware servers.  It works very well. But, I would
>suggest you redirect to a folder such as.
>
>/home/username/Documents
>
>This works better because some Apps use a directory path instead of just a
>Drive letter. They add a hash (\) at the end of the path.  With Personal
>mapping to something like H:\ this adds \ to become H:\\
>
>Adobe apps had problems with this early on.
>
>What to redirect.  This is Profile based.  Local
>Users>Software>Microsoft>Windows Current Version>Explorer> Two directories
>hold personal reg paths.  Change here,  History, Favorites, Personal,
>Desktop etc.
>

>--
>Heath Henderson
>Technology Administrator
>McLean County Unit 5 Schools
>Normal, IL 61761
>--
>

>We map Folks an H Drive.  They all receive the H Drive (their personal
>drive).
>
>But, within there are a set of Directories mapped

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org