[K12OSN] Need some specific SAMBA/LDAP Help

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Tue Jul 5 16:49:24 UTC 2005

Hello all,
    I'm hoping that some of you more experienced with this stuff can
help me out.  I want to move my NT domain to a SAMBA/LDAP setup, but I
really don't know what I'm doing.  I've got two Windows NT machines that
are currently serving as a PDC and BDC.  Both have user files on them-
one for HS/Admin and one for MS/ES.  I want to dump the BDC/MS/ES
machine and move everyone's accounts and personal files to the
PDC/HS/Admin machine after I've installed Linux on it.  What's the best
way to go about this?  Here's what I had in mind, please tell me if it's
dumb.  I thought I'd move the drives out of the PDC and put them into a
lesser machine temporarily, then upgrade the existing machine as
necessary (more RAM and a RAID- it's already a Dual Xeon).  Then let the
SAMBA/LDAP script pull all of the existing user information from the NT
installation on the temporary machine (it does do that, right?).  Then I
would need to move the users data into the newly-created /Home directory
and set the appropriate permissions.  Is there an efficient way of doing
this for about 900 users? Next I would need to "Promote" the new
SAMBA/LDAP machine to be the PDC and decommission the old BDC.  I'm a
relative Linux newbie here, so talk slow. ;)

--
C-ya,
Mark