[K12OSN] SMB/LDAP Installer upgrades

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Wed Jul 6 17:44:05 UTC 2005

> From: "Jim Kronebusch" <jim at winonacotter.org>
> Subject: RE: [K12OSN] SMB/LDAP Installer upgrades
> > You should be able to run it fine...unless you've made some
> > weird config changes by hand.  The script backs everything up
> > anyway so you can go and merge any changes if necessary.  I
> > can't test it at the moment, but I believe Matt has it
> > "merging" changes....not overwriting them.  The main concern
> > would be smb.conf....try it and let me know what
> > happens...I'll test myself in a few days and let you know as well.
>
> When I ran it this morning on my test box I no longer had any users when
> finished.  It went from 1.2 to 1.2.2-gamma.  This would be a bad thing
> on a production box.
>
> Also, do you have any tips on using quotas?  I see the bulk-add script
> want a sample user to configure from.  What is the recommended set of
> commands to set quotas on a default user?
>
> Thanks

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dave, but the Samba/LDAP Installer
doesn't merge anything.  It overwrites everything!  It makes
timestamped backups of all the config files it overwrites, but you
definitely shouldn't run it on a production system that already has
users (at least not without some careful planning and preparation).

If you need to upgrade, I recommend that you
1) dump your LDAP DB with slapcat,
2) upgrade your packages (Samba, OpenLDAP, etc.),
3) run the Samba/LDAP installer again, and
4) read your DB back into LDAP.

--matt