[K12OSN] Thin Client

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sun Jul 10 02:36:38 UTC 2005

Though the recent thread doesn't make it seem like it, I have many
thin-clients (most recycled PC's or dual boot with floppy disks) in my
school of about 600 users.  My lab has 28 units....the library has 10
units...and then we have at least 2 in every classroom k-6 (the 7 & 8
grades have laptops).  Works fine and I've never really had issues except
the occasional need to reboot the server (once or twice a year).  Much
better than the many times I had to reboot Windows servers ;-)

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Saturday, July 9, 2005 at 10:10 PM +0000 wrote:
>I would also like to know because I am researching use in a Public
>Library setting (40-50 systems) at multiple branches.
>
>Richard-
>
>Omar Olivos wrote:
>

>Hi,
>
>In a recent meeting at my school we were discussing Thin Client
>technology. Some people in the meeting were under the impression that
>Thin Client technology is old and is not used anymore by ‘big’ schools.
>(We have two sections with more than 600 students in each section). Or if
>it used it is not done successfully. It was very difficult for me to
>convince them other wise. I have been using K12LTSP in a computer lab and
>with a small number of children and talked about the benefits but
>evidence of ‘real’ success was requested. Anybody on the list could
>contact me with any ‘big’ school that is using thin client technology
>‘successfully’?  So that I can actually ‘prove’ that K12LTSP is a very
>good option.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>
>Omar Olivos

David N. Trask