[K12OSN] To mirror or not to mirror and splitting home dir between servers

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Mon Jul 11 23:31:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 08:07 -0400, Mark Gumprecht wrote:
>  Would it be a major speed hit to mirror the drives in the
> K12LTSP el version?

Depends on how they are setup now. If you're not doing any sort of RAID
at all, doing software mirroring is not much of a hit in terms of CPU
time (a couple % max) and you can sometimes get read performance
increases.

<snip>
>  Also, with the smb/ldap, how would one split home
> directories between servers.
<snip>
> I wanted to put a secondary/slave
> smb/ldap in the junior high to lighten the burden on the network. Or is
> there a better way to go about replicated smb/ldap? fds maybe?
> Mark

I am doing this same thing. I do it by using pdbedit to change the
homedir attribute of the user in ldap to the UNC path of the server
their home dir is stored on. For example:

pdbedit -h="\\homeserver\username" username

This may or may not be the best way to do this, it works for me. I'd
like it if there something a little more auto-magical, but I don't know
of anything at this point. There may also be a way to leverage DFS to
achieve this, but I'm not sure if when using DFS if the data goes from
the member server through the DFS root server before it gets sent to the
client. If so, you lose your bandwidth savings. That seems it is the
most likely way for it to operate, but I really don't know one way or
another. Another trick I've seen is per-building DNS hackery, but this
breaks if you have people move between buildings and I don't recommend
using it.

--
-Best Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-