[K12OSN] Thin Client

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Jul 12 13:25:39 UTC 2005

-----Start Old Message-----
I work for one of the largest school districts in West Texas (El Paso
ISD - 62,000+ students, 88 campuses) and in spite of the fact that
K12LTSP labs and classroom clusters are installed only in 5 middle
schools, our conservative estimate is that on any given day more than
1500 students use the thin clients for typing, computer applications or
research. The reliability of the servers is what makes them so popular.
A few teachers may resist the initial deployment - some they think they
are "too old"  to have to "learn another system", but after a few weeks
that idea vanishes, when they (and their students) realize that they
have "all the Micro$oft applications" and then some...
-----End Old Message-----

Could you quick list how many clients are in each school, what the
server configurations are, and approximately how many concurrent
connections are established?

The reason I have been prodding for this info is that I will be stepping
up to about 60 or 70 terminals from 1 K12LTSP server this summer.  I am
a little nervous about performance.  Usually I will have 40 concurrent
connections but it will be very possible to have all terminals connected
at once.  My guess is most use will be OpenOffice and Firefox.  I have a
Dual 3.2GB Xeon box with 1.2TB of striped SATA drives and 4GB of RAM and
a GB NIC.  Another concern I will be having is 20-30 of the clients will
be across town.  Granted we have a direct GB fiber link across town and
a pure GB backbone to our switched network, but I am a little nervous.