[K12OSN] RAM amount issue and the Linux kernel

aust_txv at access-k12.org aust_txv at access-k12.org
Tue Jul 12 17:42:02 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone,
Catch me up on the linux RAM issue on how much it (the kernel) can address
?  Will 4.4 address 4 GIG or do I need to stay with 3 GIG ?

FYI for the poeple shopping for servers and designing k12ltsp setups.
I am in the middle of  70 client install spread across three servers.  Not
monster servers.  I have 3 IBM x206 servers with Ultra320 SCSI 36GIG 15k
drives and 3 or 4 GIG of RAM hence my above question.  I think the single
processors are 3.4Ghz.  Gig nic for the LTSP side and 100 mb/fd for the
other.  Last year we ran 22 off a 2.4Ghz with 2 GIG of RAM and ICE nicely.
For those poeple shocked at duel processor prices, spend your cash on RAM
and I/O.  If anyone is interested I will post more on performance, but it
will be hard to tell until kids get back.

Tom Ventresco