[K12OSN] K12linux and SCSI... any thoughts?

wescott at sc.rr.com wescott at sc.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 17:17:08 UTC 2005

> From my experience SATA is better than IDE, but still doesn't
> compare to SCSI.  I have been trying some SATA raids in servers lately
and
> without doing any benchmarking the SATA is slower.  I can notice the
> difference ust working on the machine, not near as responsive.

>From what I've been told (by one of the Linux SCSI developers) one
generally gets
better performance from SCSI than from IDE or SATA. This is because SCSI
tends to
use fewer interrupts per I/O and that SATA vendors have not implemented
all the
features of SATA that would make the disks suitable for server class
machines.
The volume is in the desktop, I guess. This situation may change as time
goes
on but for now SCSI tends to offer better performance.
--
    Mike Wescott
    wescott at sc.rr.com