[K12OSN] K12linux and SCSI... any thoughts?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jul 12 19:29:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 08:01, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > (SATA might work too -- I have no experience there,
> > only that
> > IDE won't cut it after about 8 clients)
>
> >From my experience SATA is better than IDE, but still doesn't compare to
> SCSI.  I have been trying some SATA raids in servers lately and without
> doing any benchmarking the SATA is slower.  I can notice the difference
> just working on the machine, not near as responsive.

Most of the inexpensive SATA raid cards are really doing software raid
in the bios.  Have you tried one of these:
http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata9000.asp?

I've only used the older IDE versions but they are real hardware RAID
and appear as scsi devices to Linux.  The 8500 series has been stable
for a long time with Linux drivers included in the kernel and I think
the 9xxx versions are solid now.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com