[K12OSN] freeing dhcp addresses

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Jul 13 14:21:21 UTC 2005

-SNIP-
     range dynamic-bootp 172.16.103.100 172.16.103.253;

Do I need to make changes in /etc/hosts to insure that only the thin
clients get those addresses that are specified in "range dynamic-bootp"?
-SNIP-

As far as I know your /etc/hosts should contain a mapping of all
possible workstation names to all possible Ips to be offered in the
bootp range along with the name of your server.  Here is an example
below:

127.0.0.1	ltsp	localhost.localdomain	localhost
172.16.103.100	ws001.ltsp	ws001
172.16.103.101	ws002.ltsp	ws002
172.16.103.102	ws003.ltsp	ws003
172.16.103.103	ws004.ltsp	ws004
172.16.103.104	ws005.ltsp	ws005
172.16.103.105	ws006.ltsp	ws006
*****************************
*****************************
172.16.103.249	ws250.ltsp	ws250
172.16.103.250	ws251.ltsp	ws251
172.16.103.251	ws252.ltsp	ws252
172.16.103.252	ws253.ltsp	ws253
172.16.103.253	ws254.ltsp	ws254
Serverip		server.ltsp	server

And that should do it.  Also, just because I have some personal issues,
I'd bump your dhcp range to start at .101.  That way the last digit if
the IP will match the last digit of the machine names.