[K12OSN] Active Directory - SMB/LDAP Switch

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Jul 13 14:35:48 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 at 9:45 PM +0000 wrote:
>If anyone has any advice on how to handle laptop users in an environment
>such as
>this I'd love to hear it. As it is, I think not joining them to the
>domain will
>be the best answer. The laptops are often not connected to the network
>and I
>think this would be a nightmare for a laptop user. I think they would work
>better as standalone units with just a shortcut to their server space to
>perform manual backups from time to time when they are connected to our
>network. They shouldn't have a great need for roaming profiles since they
>have
>the ability to take their computer with them.

You're right....don't bother with roaming profiles for laptops...the whole
need for roaming profiles is the ability to work at other machines with
the same data....not an issue with laptops.  It will frustrate the user in
the end.  Simply join the workgroup and that will aloww them access to
most of what they need.  I try to make things a little easier by putting
shortcuts on the desktop to things like their Home folder so they can
access their documents on the server, but that's about it.  Great to hear
about your deployment...hope you'll share that message with the ACTEM list
and MSLN list as many people in ME are looking to do the same thing you
have done.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School