[K12OSN] Install Unsupported Kernel Version

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jul 14 15:33:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 09:49, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> Also, say I successfully installed a new kernel like 2.4.21-32.  How do
> I change the default kernel to boot from remotely via ssh?  It looks
> like the standard way is to choose it from grub on startup, but I can't
> do that from acroos town.

Usually yum does that for you when it notices that it is installing
a new kernel.  Look at /etc/grub.conf to see what the default= line
says.  This is all you have to change to specify which kernel boots
automatically after the timeout.  Numbering starts from 0 at the
top of the list - the rest is pretty obvious.  Grub loads in stages
and is able to read the config file during boot so unlike lilo, you
don't have to do anything else after making a change.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com