[K12OSN] LDAP/Samba users copy to SME Box?

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Jul 14 21:22:42 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, July 14, 2005 at 2:06 PM +0000 wrote:
>I am planning on using my sme firewall to do authenticating to allow
>internet access. My question is rather than duplicating the users I
>already have on the ldap/samba server can I just copy the users and
>passwords over to the sme box?? If so, where would this file be on the
>ldap/samba server?? Thanks for any help.

Short answer is no....you can't simply copy...but you can use the same
list that you used to generate the usernames and passwords on the
Samba/LDAP server to do the same on the SME server.  You may have to
manipulate the data a little, but it's a matter of reorganizing that's
all.  Use the batch users file from here
http://www.tech-geeks.org/contrib/loveless/SMEServer/contribs/batch_users/
follow the directions in the README

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator