[K12OSN] No Volume Control Elements and/or devices found

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Mon Jul 18 17:24:40 UTC 2005

>You're getting this message because your server does not have a sound
>card and Gnome is trying to load the mixer applet by default (which
>cannot find a sound device to control).
>
>One way to get rid of the message, I believe, is to remove the Mixer
>applet from the panel (I don't believe the applet can be made to work
>with network sound since it only supports writing to the device).
>
>Try this with a single user and see if it helps.
>
>If it does, then you may be able to make a system-wide change by
>removing (or moving to say /root if you are afraid to delete) the
>following folder:
>
>/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/default_setup/applets/mixer/
>
>Log out and log in again.
>
>Caveat:  I haven't tried any of this (I don't have FC4 setup on a system
>here), but if it works, I wouldn't be surprised.  For whatever reason,
>Ubuntu does not seem to suffer from this.
>
>Anyhow, hope that gets someone closer to an answer!
>
>-Gadi

Gadi,
    Thanks for responding, but that entirely correct.  The server DOES
have a sound card and sound works well at the server.  However, there is
no sound of any kind on the terminals.  When I login at a terminal using
KDE the error message is "device /dev/dsp can't be opened (permission
denied)."  Does that give anyone more to work with?

--
C-ya,
Mark