[K12OSN] No Volume Control Elements and/or devices found

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Mon Jul 18 18:54:21 UTC 2005

>I just set up FC4, recreated the problem, and I actually found another
>folder that needs to be moved:
>
>/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/panel/applets/mixer/
>
>Ah, and now I see that changing perms on your soundcard device made the
>errors go away for you (which you will need to change in /etc/udev.d in
>order for the changes to survive a reboot, btw).

I don't see /etc/udev.d on my system.

>This error should be independent of your getting sound to work on the
>terminals, it is completely because the mixer applet want access
>to /dev/dsp on the server.

The error is only on terminals.  At the server everything works just as
it should.

>Getting sound on the terminal is a different issue.  If you are using
>Gnome, make sure that your SOUND_DAEMON in lts.conf is set to "esd".

I've tried both NASD and ESD.  It's currently set to ESD

>  On
>the server, you may want to open a terminal and type:
>
>gstreamer-properties
>
>Then, make sure that ESD is set for your output audio.

When I do that and click the "Test" button I get the error: "Failed to
construct test pipeline for 'ESD - Enlightenment Sound Daemon'"

This same terminal worked perfectly on Friday morning before I upgraded
to K12LTSP 4.4, so I know it's not a terminal issue.  Any other thoughts?

--
C-ya,
Mark