[K12OSN] Can't log in as root at all. (Using SMB-LDAP)

Jon Spriggs jon.spriggs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 06:25:37 UTC 2005

Firstly, to quote Douglas Adams:- Don't panic!

Next, try running this command

  su -c 'ln -s /root /home/root'

If that doesn't work, try rebooting the box and editing the boot line
for your kernel (in Grub) adding the letter S (with a space before it)
on the end. This takes it into single-user mode, where you can type ln
-s /root /home/root

If that doesn't work, reboot from any redhat or fedora based disk, and
enter recovery mode. This is one of the boot options, and should be
described there.

Hope that helps :)

Jon

On 19/07/05, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu at orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> I don't know if I did something but I can't log in as root at all. Not
> through su, not through ssh, not from a terminal not from using remote login
> with cygwin and not even directly at the server.
>
> The message I get is "Your home directory is listed as: '/home/root' but it
> does not appear to exist. Do you want to log in with the / (root) directory
> as your home directory? It is unlikely that anything will work unless you
> use a failsafe session."
>

> When I choose yes it says, "The system administrator has disabled your
> account."
>

> I am using SMB-LDAP.
>

> I need to access the root account. What should I do?

Jon "Four Star Gun" Spriggs AKA
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs