[K12OSN] help with /etc/hosts file and 127.0.0.1

Gary Frederick gary.frederick at jsoft.com
Wed Jul 20 22:51:04 UTC 2005

I am working with someone and ran into 'issues' with my /etc/hosts on
k12ltsp. He said "having the hostname return a name that maps to
127.0.0.1 is trouble."

I have a pretty plain k12ltsp system. The /etc/hosts file includes

127.0.0.1 a.jsoft.com a localhost.localdomain localhost b.jsoft.com

a.jsoft.com is the hostname
# hostname
a.jsoft.com

He commented out all the 127.0.0.1 line and put a.jsoft.com and
b.jsoft.com in at the bottom associated to their 192.168.1.x address

The comment in /etc/hosts suggests it was a BAD idea to remove the line?

Soooo

1: is having the hostname return a name that maps to 127.0.0.1 trouble?

2: is removing 127.0.0.1 a bad idea?

any and all details that will help me understand are much appreciated.

sigh

Gary