[K12OSN] OT - Open Source Kiosk Solutions

aust_txv at access-k12.org aust_txv at access-k12.org
Thu Jul 21 14:05:57 UTC 2005

> Does anyone know of any open source solutions for an information kiosk.
> I just need something where I can provide half a dozen screens for
> viewing information and maybe watch some video clips.

A student of mine built a kiosk on Mandrake 10.someting last year.  It
automatically logins, only app is a kiosk hardened firefox.  Can get you
more info if you like.  There is a web server and FTP server running.  You
can work out the details of how you do content updates.  Another kiosk
built by the same student burns a CD with all the open source apps we use
plus a back up of students home drives :)  Soooo clean.

>Also this would have to have touch screen capabilities in most cases.
>Anyone know how linux plays with such a device?

The touch screens I have configured are serial mice :) :)  works fine.

Tom Ventresco