[K12OSN] OT - Open Source Kiosk Solutions

aust_txv at access-k12.org aust_txv at access-k12.org
Thu Jul 21 14:45:12 UTC 2005

> Everything I have seen in Linux is always for a kiosk with a browser.
> So how do you develop the app for this?  Is this usually just done with
> a flash animation or something?  I don't really want internet access at
> these terminals.  Just a menu driven system to navigate between 5 or 10
> screens with information.   Maybe a better question is what format do
most >use for the presentation to be played in Firefox in an open source
kiosk?  >(Flash, php, html,
> etc)

First, these two kiosks are not thins.  A distro is loaded on the local
drive.
There is not a new app here,  just a web browser and web pages.  Use what
ever web technology you wish ;)  We use mostly PHP and plain old HTML.  A
nice FLASH navigation buttons would work.  The idea here was to be able to
reproduce the setup for other kiosks and updaye them remotely.
Stay tuned I will gather the particulars.

Tom V.