[K12OSN] Re: PXEgrub notes

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sun Jul 24 04:06:04 UTC 2005

On Jul 23, 2005, at 4:45 AM, John Baillie wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 09:48 -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>
>> We already had a distro installed on the hd, so editing grub was easy.
>> If this is what you seek to do, I can get more specific info when I am
>> at the lab tomorrow.  If I missed something, sorry.
>>
>> --scott
>
> Hey Scott,
>
> I would appreciate any hints you have on getting this to work.
>
> I found some instructions on using the NT/XP boot loader
>
> http://wiki.etherboot.org/pmwiki.php/Main/LoadingEtherbootWithNTLoader
>
> but using grub would be better. We need to do this for Win 2000
> machines
> and maybe 98 also.

Will your Win2k and Win98 machines be dual or tri-boot?  In other
words, do you only want them to boot Winx and as a thin client?  If so,
I can tell you what lines to put in grub, but I don't know how to tell
you to install GRUB.  If you are going to make them boot WinX or Linux
from the hard drive and also have the LTSP option, then I can tell you
how.  In order to KISS, I install debian after windows.  The debian
installer is a champ and it never fails to set grub up to dual-boot
between windows and gnu/linux.  I am nearly certain that you would have
the same experience with FedoraX.

With a functioning and dual-booting GRUB, you now want to edit your
/boot/grub/grub.conf file.  Add a new entry and include *Title*
K12LTSPmakestheworldrounder.  Now, here is where I really goofed today
by not looking at the settings at McKinley.  You add a *Kernel* line
pointing to /boot/UniversalBootFloppy.img or whatever you call the
bootrom that you have copied to /boot.  I may be wrong, though.  If so,
this line should be the *initrd* line, not *kernel*.  I don't recollect
that you needed the hd line.

Sorry not to copy a specific example.  I can next Saturday, and maybe
before, but for now this is the best that I can offer.

> Thanks,
>
> John

--scott